When the voice and the vision on the inside becomes more profound,clear and loud than the opinions on the outside,you have mastered your life

Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Upside Down Boy

 It was the year 2000. The month of January usually saw schools take their students for picnics. The school where I worked was no different. I was the class teacher of grade seven which had  A bunch of naughty boys and girls. 

We headed for Esselworld, an amusement park that was very popular among the youngsters of Mumbai. 

There was a new ride called the Thunder, in which the participants were suspended upside down for arpund two to three seconds.

There was a lit of discussion enroute Esselworld about who would do the ride.

Laughing, cracking jokes amd singing, we all reached Esselworld.

Even as I was monitoring my students,  one of the boys from my class came up with a few more in tow and said, " Maam , we want to ride the Thunder. Do you want to join us? You will not survive it! Challenge!"


What did these pithy kids think of me? I was a veteran at such rides. Whats a bit of it being upside down? And so I marched with them into the queue.  And rode the Thunder like a boss. 

( that I didnt sit in any other ride, post Thunder was soon forgotten by all).


Two days later,  I had a major bout of nausea and vomitting. As I was planning my second baby, I went in for a pregnancy test. The result was positive.

While the family was rejoicing,  I took my husband aside and told him,  Two days ago I rode the Thunder and was suspended in air upside down! I need to get to the gynaec immediately to know all is ok with the baby! Blood drained from hubby's face! He anyway hated such rides as he suffered from vertigo! 

We finally reached the gynaec who informed us all was ok and baby was a strong one. 


Five years later I realised that my son's favourite sitting position on the sofa was with his feet up on the backrest amd his head down! The Thunder had a thunderous impact on him, for sure! 

No comments: