When the voice and the vision on the inside becomes more profound,clear and loud than the opinions on the outside,you have mastered your life

Sunday, February 28, 2021

And thus it began...

 I had just cleared college and got into a job. During my second year at the job, one Sunday I planned a movie with some of my friends. Mom  declared that I couldnt go for the movie and a family was coming to 'see' me. I asked her what time they were expected. I would go for the movie once they were gone. " Your movie is not so important,  she snarled. This meeting could lead to the wedding."

I went to my room upset about the lost movie and irritated that someone would plonk themselves on my sofa on a Sunday morning.

The three days next were a whirlwind. My aunt and uncle came home early on Sunday morning. The saree I chose was rejected promptly. My aunt had brought a saree and insisted I wore that one. Finally by ten thirty, I was ready. 

I said I will not carry the tray with tea. Mom and aunt  were glad I was decked up with flowers and jewels. All I could think of was when these visitors would go and I would be free to go for the movie.

They came. And the groom to be was not there. That irritated me further. They said the family came to see me. If they approved the boy would come. 

Oh the high and mighty dont do normal stuff , I thought and went out in the  living room to greet them. I met them with a smile. Some usual questions , some normal conversation and tea and snacks and they left .

A telephone call in the evening confirmed that next Sunday the boy would also come. Oh god! I wailed. One more Sunday gone. 

I am not going to deck up now , I protested. I will wear a sinple saree. Thats enough for the boy who needs two visits to see a girl! 

And so Sunday , I meet the guy. He is tall, dark and handsome. My heart skips a beat. The wait was worth it! 

He tells me he is a workaholic,  but loves to party and travel and he watches movies when he gets time. My ears perk up. The guy watches movies. He clears my test. Thats all I needed. 

The rest is my parents look out. They can figure it out. 

I say ok. He says ok. We get engaged. 

Two weeks later he offers to take me for a movie. I am ecstatic. We will go town side he says. Town side in Mumbai is the hotspot for fashion and entertainment. 

He comes to pick me up in a motorcycle. Wow. This is getting better I think. A movie, a motor bike and a TDH guy. This is dream stuff. 

Halfway through Mumbais skies open up. Even as we drive down the streets getting soaked, my heart sings.. Rimjhim gire saawan... 

The movie of my life has begun. Could it have begun better? 


No comments: