When the voice and the vision on the inside becomes more profound,clear and loud than the opinions on the outside,you have mastered your life

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.




A very powerful statement that reminds us 'Actions speak louder than words.'
During my journey as a parent, I have experienced this many a time. As an adult I believed it was the right thing for children to obey adults. They had no choice but to do that. And as my children grew, over the years, the realization grew that children will listen to you if they see a logical outcome to what you say.
If you stand on a high moral horse and say, ' Listen to me because I am your parent', that will never work.
We are used to a culture where one parent is made the villain. Usually the father is made to be the supreme authority and given all rights and powers over the child.
This teaches the children that the parents are not a team. While they hear the father is the final decision maker, they see the inequality in the relationship.
I have had many parents walk up to me and say, my son or daughter is constantly on the TV or the phone. He or she she doesnt study. A little digging into the daily routine shows how the parent refuses to switch off the TV, but expects the child to stay away.
Children mirror actions. They observe keenly. They are tunes to your mood and feelings.
Keep a track of yourself first. Then you will command the respect as a parent. You will not have to demand it.

No comments: